HURON GAS LLC
Propane Safety Information
Please read the following to educate yourself on the smell of propane, appliance maintenance, carbon monoxide and the dangers of running out of gas.
IF YOU SMELL GAS
NO FLAMES OR SPARKS! Immediately put out all smoking materials and other open flames. Do not operate lights, appliances, telephones or cell phones. Flames or sparks from these sources can trigger an explosion or a fire.
LEAVE THE AREA IMMEDIATELY! Get every one out of the building or area where you suspect gas is leaking.
SHUT OFF THE GAS. Turn off the main gas supply valve on your propane tank if it is safe to do so. To close the valve, turn it to the right (clockwise).
REPORT THE LEAK. From a neighbor's home or other nearby building away from the gas leak, call your propane retailer right away. If you can't reach your propane retailer, call 911 or you local fire department.
DO NOT RETURN TO THE BUILDING OR AREA until your propane retailer, emergency responder or qualified service technician determines that it is safe to do so.
GET YOUR SYSTEM CHECKED. Before you attempt to use any of your propane appliances, your propane retailer or a qualified service technician must check your entire system to ensure that it is leak-free.
Running Out of Gas
DON'T RUN OUT OF GAS. SERIOUS SAFETY HAZARDS, INCLUDING FIRE OR EXPLOSION, CAN RESULT.
If an appliance valve or a gas line is left open, a leak could occur when the system is recharged with propane.
If your propane tank runs out of gas, any pilot lights on your appliance will go out. This can be extremely dangerous.
A LEAK CHECK IS REQUIRED. In many states, a propane retailer or a qualified service technician must perform a leak check of your propane system before turning on your gas.
Propane smells like rotten eggs, a skunk's spray or a dead animal. Some people may have difficulty smelling propane due to their age, a medical condition or the effects of medication, alcohol, tobacco or drugs.
ODOR LOSS. On rare occasions, propane can lose its odor. Several things can cause this.
Since there is a possibility of odor loss or problems with your sense of smell, you should respond immediately to even a faint odor of gas.
LEAVE IT TO THE EXPERTS. Only a qualified service technician has the training to install, service, maintain and repair your appliances. Have your appliances and propane system inspected just before the start of each heating season.
DO NOT TRY TO MODIFY OR REPAIR valves, regulators, connectors, controls or other appliance and cylinder/tank parts. Doing so creates the risk of a gas leak that can result in property damage, serious injury or death.
Carbon Monoxide and Your Safety
WHAT IS CARBON MONOXIDE (CO)?
You can't taste or smell CO, but it is a very dangerous gas. High levels of CO can come from appliances that are not operating correctly, or from a venting system or chimney that become blocked.
CARBON MONOXIDE CAN BE DEADLY!
High levels of CO can make you dizzy or sick. In extreme cases, CO can cause brain damage or death. Symptoms of CO poisoning include: headache, dizziness, fatigue, shortness of breath and nausea.
IF YOU SUSPECT CO IS PRESENT, ACT IMMEDIATELY!
1. If you or a family member shows physical symptoms of CO poisoning, get everyone out of the building and call 911 or your local fire department.
2. If it is safe to do so, open windows to allow entry of fresh air and turn off any appliances you suspect may be releasing CO.
3. If no one has symptoms, but you suspect that CO is present, call your propane retailer or a qualified service technician to check CO levels and your propane equipment.
CO DETECTORS CAN IMPROVE SAFETY
For an extra measure of safety, consider installing a CO detector listed by Underwriters Laboratories on each level of your home.